What is Amazon Best Sellers Rank?
- An Amazon Best Sellers Rank (BSR) is a number that nearly every product in its multi-million product catalog is awarded once the item has had at least one sale. For that reason, the BSR is a good indicator of how well a product is currently selling on Amazon.
- The better the product’s BSR, the better its sales.
- For example, a product ranked #1 has much higher sales than a product ranked #200,000.
- However, the BSR only applies to how a product sells in a particular category. In other words, products don’t have an overall BSR, comparing their sales to every other product on Amazon.
- But, since many products sell in multiple categories on Amazon, it is possible for an item to have more than one BSR. Particularly when you take into account that nearly every department and sub-category on Amazon has its own individual best sellers ranking system.
- So, a product on Amazon can have a BSR of 2,000 in Kitchen & Dining, while the exact same product can have an Amazon Best Sellers Rank of 20,000 when sold in Toys & Games.
How is the Amazon Best Sellers Rank Calculated?
Surprise! Amazon holds this as a closely guarded secret as you might expect. What is known though is that several factors influence and contribute to the Amazon Best Sellers Rank of your product. These factors are based only around sales rather than taking into account product reviews, pricing and so on.
So, the theory is that your BSR is calculated on:
- Sales, both current and historic
- Price changes, including sales and promotions
- Similar competitive products
- Every hour, Amazon updates the BSR values based on current and historical sales. So, if your product sold 10 units in one hour and your competitor sold five units, your BSR would be lower than your competitors (remember, lower is better!)
- However, if in the following hour you sold only one unit and your competitor sold five, you would still have a lower BSR because the historical sales are also taken into account, so you won’t automatically lose (or gain) a ranking that quickly. The BSR algorithm looks at your product sales overall and then allocates the numbers, so there are really never any drastic fluctuations.
- If you were to gain a vast influx or drop in sales suddenly, you might not see an immediate change in your ranking.
How Can I Improve My Amazon Best Sellers Rank?
- It’s natural to want to see your products achieve a decent BSR. While this won’t affect your organic ranking, if you can reach a low enough ranking with your BSR (ideally between 1 and 100) your product will appear in the Best Seller Lists. This, if nothing else, does give you some kudos.
- To put it bluntly, you will need to generate more Amazon sales! Not only that, but you should also keep an eye on your own sales and those of your competitors because to improve your Amazon Best Seller Rank you must outsell your competitors. If you simply level with them on sales, your BSR won’t improve.
- So, to really effectively improve your Amazon Best Sellers Rank you should look at the bigger picture.
1. Optimise Your Amazon Product Title
- Your product title must include only relevant keywords, including exactly what your product is, the colour and size (if applicable) and the brand name if it’s a well-known name.
2. Be Competitive on Price
- Price is a significant factor when it comes to winning the buy box, so you must set your prices correctly. Consider using repricing software to remain competitive.
3. Supercharge Your Bullet Points
- Add the key features and benefits of your product to the bullet points in your main description. Keep them informative and concise to hook your reader immediately.
4. Differentiate Using Your Product Images
- Impress your potential buyers and make your product stand out with high-quality images that set you apart from your competitors. Choose images that are super HD and differ from the product images in other descriptions.
- Taking pictures of your product from different angles will help paint a picture of how your product will look or can be used in real life and sets you apart from your competitors.
5. Utilise Amazon FBA and Prime
- Amazon favours sellers who use their fulfilment service, and of course, you’ll then have the opportunity to offer Prime on your listings.
- Buyers love speedy delivery and the trust and reliability that comes with FBA and Prime, so this brings you a huge opportunity to increase your sales – and ultimately your Amazon Best Seller Rank. To know more about FBA see this guide Everything you need to know about FBA (Fulfillment by Amazon)
- While the Amazon Best Sellers Rank can appear complicated at first glance, it’s worth taking notice of. The benefits to you as an Amazon seller are huge, not only for your own Amazon business, helping you make improvements, but also for gaining valuable insights into your competitors’ sales and activities.