What is Photography?
- Photography is the art of capturing light with a camera,usually via a digital sensor or film, to create an image. In other words, photography is the skill, job or a process of producing photographs.
Topics covered in this blog
- What is product photography?
- Types of Product Photography for e-commerce
- Requirements of photography on different platforms
- Product photography requirements
What is Product Photography?
- Product photography for eCommerce is one of the most important elements of your online business.
- In short, product photos are the only link your potential customers have to what they are getting and without them, conversion would be almost impossible.
- Why? Because when they are top-notch, they play the biggest role in boosting traffic from PPC campaigns and other platforms, keep your traffic engaged on your home and product pages, and ultimately help you convert traffic into sales. Quality photos will grab a potential shopper’s attention, enhance buyer interactions, establish your brand feel and instill trust.
- And it’s not just about the product photos you take. But it is the optimization of product photos across every platform and channel plays a huge role in your sales success and branding.
Types of Product Photography for eCommerce:-
- Product-only photography
- Lifestyle/contextual product photos
- Social media product photos
- PPC campaign product photos
- Website homepage and category product photos
1. Product-Only Photography
- The most important type of product photography for eCommerce is your product-only shots. These are those photos you use to really sell your products; they give your potential customers a visual representation of just what they are buying, and are usually on a white background. This makes product-only photos one of the most vital elements of an online business.
- Good product-only photos are crisp, high-quality images that highlight every aspect of your product.
2. Lifestyle/Contextual Product Photos
- The second most important product photo type is your lifestyle or contextual product photos. These product photos are intended to tell a story, showing your products being used or worn.
- Additionally, they don’t just create a vibe for your products – they speak directly to your target audience.
- Although these types of photos are generally used for social media, blog products and some campaign platforms, there is a trend to incorporate them on home and category pages and more recently, product pages.
- Lifestyle product photos for eCommerce will help you demonstrate scale, show off features and fit, and boost your brand’s image.
3. Social Media Product Photography for eCommerce
- Unlike the previous product photography for eCommerce types we mentioned, social media content gives you the most creative freedom. This is where you can play with backgrounds and fun lifestyle images, or demonstrate how products are used.
- But remember: each platform has its own target market and feel, therefore you will want to ensure you shoot and edit your social media product photos to fit the specific platform you plan on using them for.
- Why? Because if you want to make sure your product photos pop (i.e., get the reach), you need to reach the target audience of your campaign in a way that delivers: speaks to the target audience of the platform.
Requirements of photography on different platforms:-
- When it comes to Facebook images, impact is super important. As one of the noisiest platforms, it’s super important that your Facebook product images are able to ‘jump out’ from the busyness to reach your potential shoppers.
- You are also competing very hard with people’s personal posts, so although you want to stay on-brand with stylizing, you also need to grab attention quickly for your campaigns and page content.
- Generally speaking, Facebook is known to attract fewer millennials than other platforms, with 84% of internet users aged 30-49 said to be active on the platform. Plus, 75% of their users are said to earn $75k per annum.
- Unlike its big sister platform, Facebook, with Instagram it is vital that the story you are trying to portray is done 100% visually.
- From feed posts to Stories, you need to visually attract your users without the help of text like Facebook offers; copy should only be used to enhance the visual in feed posts or help tell your story – quickly – in Stories.
- In short, visual style and elegant impact are vital when posting photos on Instagram.
- 75% of Instagram users are under the age of 30, with 83% say they are introduced to new products on Instagram. If your product images pop, you have a better chance of generating 4 times more engagements on Instagram than Facebook.
- Pinterest product photos will require different dimensions and some more creativity. You want to make sure these images stand out.
- You need quality images that are not only sized correctly for the platform but styled to match the demographics of the platform.
4. Product Photos for Digital Campaigns
- The next product photos you will need to create and optimize your PPC campaign photos.
- Each marketing channel campaign type has its own requirements that you will need to consider to ensure your campaigns are both accepted by the platform and look good enough to get those clicks.
5. Website Homepage and Category Product Photos
- Lastly, let’s talk about eCommerce product photos for your website and category pages. Although these will probably be made up of lifestyle and product-only photos, to really stand out, some uniqueness and variety here could put you over the edge and help keep that traffic on your site.
Product photography requirements
- Using tripod properly
- Picking right camera and setting up
- Proper lighting arrangements
- Photography of proper angles of products to show significant features of your product.
- Right Photographer. To know more about how to select right photographer for your product read this How to choose a right Photographer?
- High-quality photography is critical in capturing and engaging the attention of your online audience.
- A library of high-resolution images including event photography, lifestyle photography and corporate photography empowers both your digital marketing strategy and your website’s visual storytelling.
- Of course, you probably already know that top-quality product photography is a big factor in boosting ecommerce conversions.
- Vibrant photos help people remember you and what you do. It’s been shown that people who hear information are only likely to remember 10% of that info 3 days later — compared to remembering 65% of the info 3 days later when shown with a relevant image.
- Team Sellersupport has professional photographers who have years of experience shooting people and products that capture our clients’ unique personality, show customer engagement and highlight product details.
- Since you can’t meet each potential new online lead in person, professional, high-resolution photos are absolutely essential to making a positive first impression.
- Whether you need a new library of photos of your business location, office, executive team and happy customers, or you have an important corporate event that you want to document and share, our in-house professional photography team Sellersupport can capture the important moments and details for you.